2. Types of Information Collected – From time to time, you may provide NYRP with your personally identifiable information when using the Website. For example, NYRP will ask you for personally identifiable information, such as your name, address and email address, upon your request to sign up for the NYRP mailing list, or you may choose to provide NYRP with your credit card information when making a donation or purchasing Gala tickets through the Website. Except when you submit it to NYRP, NYRP does not collect any personally identifiable information about you.
The Website does collect some anonymous "non-personally identifiable" information about visitors automatically when pages on the Website are requested through a browser. NYRP maintains and uses this information only in the aggregate for statistical purposes and to help NYRP monitor generally how guests navigate the Website, allowing NYRP to tailor its services for the majority of visitors. For example, NYRP may collect the number and frequency of visitors to the Website, information about its visitors' browsers (e.g., Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer), operating systems (e.g., Windows or Macintosh), Internet Service Providers), the number of times particular content is viewed and other similar information.
NYRP also collects the IP addresses you connect to the Website from as a component of the non-personally identifiable information. An IP address is a number assigned to your computer by a Web server when you are connected to the Internet. This information is generally only used for non-user-specific purposes such as determining how many users visited a specific area of the Website. However, NYRP reserves the right to use such information to identify a user if NYRP believe it is necessary in order to resolve safety and/or security issues or to comply with legal requirements.
The Website uses "cookies" to track and target the interests of NYRP’s users to enhance their experience on the Website. Cookies are text files that are placed in your computer’s browser to store your preferences. If you choose to provide information to NYRP through the Website, this information may be linked to the data stored in the cookies. You can configure your browser to accept cookies, reject all cookies or notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
3. How Information is Used – The information you provide may be used by NYRP to create and deliver to you NYRP’s e-mails, mailings, surveys or other communications concerning the organization and its programs and initiatives. If you prefer not to receive such communications, please see Section 9 below.
NYRP may provide access to its mailing list of names and physical mailing addresses to like-minded organizations and a variety of publications as part of its direct mail fundraising efforts. However, NYRP will never share your email address for that purpose. If you prefer that your information is not provided to these third parties, please see Section 9 below. WHILE THESE THIRD-PARTY ENTITIES ARE CAREFULLY SCREENED, NYRP, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY TYPE OF DAMAGES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, OR LOSSES OR EXPENSES, FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND CUSTOMER INFORMATION PRACTICES.
Aggregate non-personally identifiable information concerning your use of this Website, such as information regarding which of the Website’s pages are most popular, may be shared with or transferred to NYRP’s affiliates, licensees and partners.
NYRP may disclose any information, including personally identifiable information, it deems necessary, in its sole discretion, to the government or private parties in order to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, investigation or governmental request. NYRP may also disclose such information where it believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or violations of NYRP’s Terms and Conditions, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing the Website and applicable laws, or as otherwise required or permitted by law or consistent with legal requirements.
4. Third Parties – NYRP may retain other companies and individuals to perform functions on its behalf. Examples include data analysis firms, customer support specialists, webhosting companies, telemarketing companies and fulfillment companies (e.g., companies that coordinate mailings). Such third parties may be provided with access to personally identifiable information needed to perform their functions, but their use of your information is limited to providing NYRP with their services.
5. Security – NYRP implements various security measures to protect the security of your personal information. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while NYRP strives to protect your personal information, it cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from the Website, and you do so at your own risk.
Although NYRP’s security measures are continually changing, the Website currently uses VeriSign 128-bit SSL (Secure Server Layer) Encryption. The SSL Certificate is intended to enable you to verify the Website's authenticity and to communicate with NYRP securely via state-of-the-art SSL encryption, which attempts to protect confidential information from interception and hacking. When a secure connection is established between your browser and a site, any data that is transferred over the connection will be encrypted in an attempt to prevent it from being viewed by a third party. Secure Server Layer (SSL) encryption, the standard for most browsers and servers, makes it very difficult for anyone to intercept or decode messages exchanged over this type of secure connection.
6. Retention – NYRP retains personal information and other data submitted by you until you ask to be removed from NYRP’s database. When you request to be removed from NYRP’s mailing list, you will no longer receive e-mails from NYRP, but your information will remain in NYRP’s database and you may receive mailings at your physical address. If you would like to be removed from NYRP’s database and physical address mailing list, please see Section 9 below. Please note that when information is removed from NYRP’s databases it may continue to exist in backup archives maintained by NYRP.
8. Business Transfers – As NYRP continues to develop, it may sell or liquidate certain of its assets or combine its operations with those of another entity. In such transactions, user information, including personally identifiable information, generally is one of the transferred business assets, and by submitting your personal information on the Website you agree that your data may be transferred to such parties in these circumstances.
10. Contact information – Please be assured that NYRP takes your concerns about privacy quite seriously. If you have any questions, comments or concerns about NYRP’s privacy practices, please contact us at:
NYRP Website c/o Marketing Department
New York Restoration Project
254 West 31st Street 10th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Last updated October 2009