Apply to Renovate Your Garden with NYRP’s “Gardens for the City”
Is there a community space in your neighborhood you’d like to see transformed? If so, apply for help from NYRP below. We provide support for projects of various scales — from building a few vegetables beds to large-scale restoration work.
Through the Gardens for the City program, NYRP helps communities transform public spaces in New York City. We provide materials, horticultural knowledge, environmental education, and lend labor-power and expertise in construction to help create community gardens and accessible landscapes in under-resourced neighborhoods.
See some of the community spaces we’ve helped transform.
Great Kills High School, Staten Island, NY, May 2017, Before and After
Kingsbridge Heights Community Center, Bronx, NY, June 2017, Before and After
Lydia’s Garden, East Harlem, NY, April 2018, Before and After
Queens Center for Progress, Queens, NY, June 2018, Before and After
Applications for Gardens for the City are accepted on a rolling basis. Submitting an application does not automatically qualify you to receive materials. We will contact you if you have been selected.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
- Planting trees, shrubs, perennials, and more
- Building raised beds, compost bins and small scale carpentry projects
- Topsoil, compost, and woodchip deliveries
- Creating pathways, small fencing installations
- Pick up and clear trash and refuse
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Be located in Central Brooklyn, Northern Manhattan or South Bronx
- Engage community members
- Include plans for maintenance and long-term upkeep
INCLUDE IN YOUR APPLICATION:
- Responses to all “Project Information” questions
- Letter of recommendation from an organization or individual that has previously worked with your school or organization
Please read the application carefully, complete it as fully as possible and follow submission deadline instructions.