New York Restoration Project’s community gardens are more than pretty green oases: they are community hubs. Each gardening season (April through October) community members and NYRP hold hundreds of events in our community gardens and you can too! Host public events, such as community celebrations, educational workshops, or other public programs. There is no cost to use the space, for community members and non-commercial entities, but gardens must remain open and accessible to the public at all times.
Garden events are driven by the community. Community members can celebrate milestones in many of our gardens, by completing the Community Events form.
Or they can work with us to organize events and activities. Through the Community Grant Program, New York Restoration Project and community gardeners, neighbors and partners can work together to bring programming into the gardens. Through the Grant Program, the community can:
- Equipment loan, where NYRP will loan you event equipment for a limited time.
- Request funding to bring a program or activity to a garden. Grants are of up to $500 per event/ project. (Maximum of $1,000 per group)
Interested in hosting your community event in an NYRP garden? Thanks to the community gardeners in our network, many NYRP gardens can host community events like children's birthday's, baby showers, gatherings, and community meetings. NYRP community gardens are opened every day across the city thanks to the hard work of community members, these same community members share their time to open and close the gardens for community events.
Complete the NYRP event form, below, at least three weeks before your event. Submission of the form does not equal event confirmation, a member of the Engagement team will contact you to finalize event information and to confirm availability. Gardens can host events from April through October.
NOTE: The gardening season and garden reservation coordination occurs from April through October. NYRP staff coordinate with garden members to open and close available gardens. This form is only to reserve space in an NYRP community garden that is ideal to host an event. To reserve space located in one of the public parks we maintain in Northern Manhattan (including the Riley-Levin Children's Garden, Swindler Cove in Sherman Creek Park and others) you will need to obtain a permit from the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation.
Garden event policies:
- The event will be approved by the garden group, we recommend that you attend a garden group meeting.
- Only one event may be held in the garden at any time.
- Garden gates must remain open to the public during all events.
- No fee may be charged to reserve or enter any NYRP garden.
- Event hosts are responsible for acquiring sound or other applicable permits.
- Smoking, drugs, and/or alcohol are not permitted in the gardens.
- All events must end by 7pm. All persons and event materials must be removed from the garden and the garden gates must be locked no later than 8pm.
- Event hosts are responsible for leaving the garden clean and in order.
- A sound permit must be acquired from the NYPD for any event that will have amplified sound/ music at a loud volume.
Complete and submit the following form no later than 3 weeks in advance of your event (within the garden season of April through October). Submission of the form is not a confirmation of your reservation. NYRP staff will be in contact with you to confirm your event reservation.