Public Programming Coordinator
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Department: Engagement and Programming
Reports to: Senior Community Engagement Manager
Start date: February 2022
NYRP believes that access to nature is a fundamental human right. As such, we work to strengthen communities, promote food sovereignty, and counter environmental and social injustices to ensure that all New Yorkers have equitable access to green space. For over 25 years, NYRP has invested in and stewarded over 80 acres of City-owned parks and 52 community gardens throughout New York City’s five boroughs. Effectively carrying out our mission requires collaboration, synergy, and understanding of the communities we serve, and their leadership on many different levels.
As a member of NYRP’s Engagement and Programming team, the Public Programs Coordinator will lead NYRP’s Tree Giveaway program and assist with the development and implementation of community-based programming. This position will work closely with and report to the Senior Community Engagement Manager.
- Manage, and execute NYRP’s bi-annual tree giveaway program, distributing 2,000 trees this Spring.
- Work with community members and partners to develop and execute programming in the community gardens.
- Support the coordination and execution of NYRP events including but not limited to: arts and culture events, volunteer days, garden programming and annual events like Fall Fest and Gardeners Gathering.
- Coordinate and implement localized outreach efforts to promote programming.
- Create all marketing materials, flyers for NYRP Garden events.
- Transport programming equipment to and from events as needed.
- Obtain permits and movie rights when needed for events.
- Assist with programming administration including partner contracts and budget management.
- Update and maintain our database management system tracking programming, program evaluation and outcomes reporting.
- Maintain open communication with the Senior Community Engagement Manager to ensure success in project implementation and program evaluation.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-4 years of experience managing events
- Experience and comfort working with at-risk populations
- Willingness to work on a flexible schedule and to travel throughout NYC, including weekends and evenings
- Well-developed organizational skills with a solid orientation to detail
- A self-starter with a strong desire to learn
- Computer experience (Microsoft Office and Adobe)
- Be able to lift 50 pounds (Unloading trees and carrying equipment is a common part of the role)
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- COVID vaccination is required to be considered for the position
This position will require a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends.
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to [email protected] or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.