Citywide Project Coordinator
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Reports to: Director of Garden Horticulture/Citywide Greening Projects
Date posted: December 3, 2021
Salary: $44,712 per annum
Start date: January 4, 2022
Schedule: 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Tuesday—Friday (occasional Mondays/Weekends as needed)
Reporting location: Sherman Creek Center, 3725 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10034
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
Under the direction of the Director of Garden Horticulture/Citywide Greening Projects, the Citywide Project Coordinator will function to lead or assist in NYRP projects in NYRP Gardens and at Gardens for the City Project sites throughout New York City. The Citywide Project Coordinator will work independently but will supervise Seasonal staff members from other crews when projects require additional assistance. Any work scheduled for the Citywide Project Coordinator will be coordinated through the Director of Garden Horticulture/Citywide Greening Projects to ensure priority projects are well synchronized with day-to-day operational needs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Material delivery to NYRP project sites citywide and pickups of material at vendor facilities outside of New York City;
- Assist with small construction tasks such as building raised beds, shade structures and installing fences;
- Maintenance and horticultural tasks inclusive of litter and debris removal; plant installation, mowing, weeding, watering, mulching, pruning and removal of trees, painting, graffiti removal, snow removal and other tasks necessary;
- Collaborate with the Director of Garden Horticulture/Citywide Greening Projects to develop work plans, coordinate route schedules, communicate site conditions to provide professional standards of service delivery to work sites;
- Lead seasonal crew members, assessing skill levels and ensuring the safe execution of daily work orders, providing on-site training as needed;
- Manage groups of volunteers and community partners in NYRP managed space or on special projects;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner, provide support and guidance to garden members in a manner consistent with NYRP standards and policies;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist with bag snagging from trees during winter months throughout the city;
- Safely drive and operate vehicles, trailers, bobcat, mowing and other motorized equipment;
- Operate and maintain tools and equipment, insuring safe practices at all times;
- File work reports and complete work orders as required by direct supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Two or more years’ experience in landscaping and gardening, basic carpentry skills are a plus;
- Valid and Clean NY state driver’s license, experience driving larger vehicles such as dump trucks and vans;
- COVID vaccination is required to be considered for the position;
- Ability to supervise a crew and provide training;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, handle electric equipment, power tools and lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to [email protected] or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.