MillionTreesNYC’s Fall Tree Giveaway Season to Exclusively Feature Fruit Trees
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NYRP and local NYC organizations will distribute 4,500 free fruit trees at over 40 giveaways in the fall
NEW YORK, NY, August 2014 – As the leading private partner of MillionTreesNYC, the initiative of planting and caring for one million new trees in New York City by 2015, New York Restoration Project (NYRP) is launching its seventh season of fall tree giveaways by handing out 4,500 free trees to New Yorkers to plant in their front or back yards, gardens or commercial property. From September through October, thanks to support from lead sponsors, TD Bank and Toyota, and supporting sponsor, JetBlue, NYRP is partnering with 35 local community organizations to host the giveaways throughout all five boroughs. In response to the popularity of fruit trees amongst home and property owners, this season will exclusively distribute fruit tree varieties such as Indian Blood peaches, Asian pears, Chicago Hardy figs, Prima almonds and Pristine apples.
“The enthusiasm for planting trees on private property in New York City has been overwhelmingly positive and growing over the years,” says Mike Duran-Mitchell, NYRP’s Director of Giveaways. “We’re happy to kick off yet another season of giveaways and to continue growing our city’s tree canopy, with the help of our sponsors, partner organizations and New Yorkers taking home and planting trees.”
As part of MillionTreesNYC, NYRP hosts the country’s largest municipal tree giveaway program. Provided with a tree planting demonstration, a simple take-home planting and care guide, and direction to an online instructional video, giveaway participants are given the guidance to properly care for their trees, ensuring long-term stewardship. Aside from providing cleaner air, planting trees has many benefits, including enhanced curb appeal, lowered energy costs, offset of climate change, and more.
Here is more information on how the giveaways work:
- NYC property owners can find the giveaway schedule and locations online at http://www.nyrp.org/treegiveaways. Dates and locations are subject to change.
- They can register online for a tree in advance. Registration is typically available at least two weeks prior to the giveaway.
- If registration is full, a limited quantity of trees is available on a first come, first served basis at the event.
- An NYRP representative on site will explain how to plant and care for the tree.
- Participants take their trees home to plant in a yard, garden, commercial property, community garden, etc.
- Participants must agree to the following terms:
- Plant in one of the five boroughs.
- Keep trees properly watered and maintained.
- Do not plant the tree along streets, in city parks, in containers, terraces, balconies or on roofs.
About New York Restoration Project & MillionTreesNYC Tree Giveaways
New York Restoration Project (NYRP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming open space in under-resourced communities to create a greener, more sustainable New York City. NYRP is also the leading private partner of the City of New York in MillionTreesNYC, an initiative to plant and care for one million new trees throughout NYC’s five boroughs. As part of MillionTreesNYC, NYRP partners with community organizations to conduct the largest municipal tree giveaway program in the country. Thanks to generous support from lead sponsors, TD Bank and Toyota, and supporting sponsor, JetBlue, NYRP will host 40 tree giveaways in the fall season 2014 and hand out 4,500 free fruit trees. To learn more about tree giveaways, please visit http://www.nyrp.org/treegiveaways.
Anne Tan | PR Officer
New York Restoration Project