MILLIONTREESNYC & NYRP INVITE COMMUNITY MEMBERS TO PARTICIPATE IN TREE GIVEAWAY SEASON
NYRP and Local NYC Organizations Will Distribute 3,000 Free Trees at 22 Giveaways Across the Five Boroughs
Tree Giveaway Marks Final Season of Historic MillionTreesNYC Movement
NEW YORK, NY, September 2015 – This fall, New York Restoration Project (NYRP) will give away 3,000 trees at 22 events across New York City. NYRP, supported by TD Bank, has partnered with 14 local community organizations throughout the five boroughs for the giveaway events. This distribution, the largest of its kind in the country, is part of the historic end to the MillionTreesNYC the initiative of planting and caring for one million new trees throughout New York City.
“For 20 years, NYRP has been caring for our urban forest including giving away trees for New Yorkers to plant in their own yards,” said Deborah Marton, the Executive Director of NYRP. “Since 2012, the tree giveaway program has given away over 50,000 trees and we are proud to work to leave a lasting legacy of a healthier and more vibrant city.”
New York City property owners can find the giveaway schedule and locations online at http://www.nyrp.org/treegiveaways.
From October through November, all New Yorkers are invited to attend a giveaway to pick up a tree to plant in their yards and gardens or on their commercial property. In response to the popularity of fruit trees among home and property owners, this fall will once again feature fruit tree varieties such as figs, peaches, plums, Serviceberry and American persimmon.
Due to the program’s popularity NYRP’s Tree Giveaway program will continue after the conclusion of MillionTreesNYC this October.
Tree giveaway participants care for their trees by properly watering and maintaining them on their property, ensuring long-term stewardship. Trees bring many benefits to a community, including cleaner air, enhanced curb appeal, the offset of climate change and cooler temperatures.
Important details on the tree giveaway are below:
- Property owners can register for a tree in advance. Registration is typically available at least two weeks prior to the giveaway.
- If registration is full, a limited quantity of trees is available on a first-come, first-served basis at the event.
- An NYRP representative on site will explain how to plant and care for the tree.
- Participants take their trees home to plant in their yard, garden, commercial property or community garden
- Participants must agree to the following terms:
- The tree must be planted in one of the five boroughs.
- The tree must be property watered and maintained.
- No tree should be planted along the street, in city parks, in containers or on terraces, balconies or roofs.
The complete list of locations and dates for tree giveaways include:
- Astoria Heights Park, Queens- October 3
- 686 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn- October 3
- Brook Park, Bronx - October 3
- Belle Harbor Yacht Club, Queens- October 4
- Bronx Guild High School, Bronx- October 10
- Maggie’s Magic Garden, Manhattan- October 10
- Carousel for All Children, Staten Island- October 10
- Compost for Brooklyn, Brooklyn- October 11
- 1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island - October 17
- Cunningham Park, Queens – October 17
- Greenpoint Public Library, Brooklyn – October 17
- Powell Street Garden, Brooklyn – October 17
- 9029 Eldert Lane, Queens – October 28
- 244-05 Northern Blvd, Queens – October 24
- 1540 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island – October 24
- 210 Prospect Park Southwest, Brooklyn – October 25
- 3755 E. Tremont Ave, Bronx – October 25
- 585 Dekalb Ave, Brooklyn – October 31
- 75-09 Woodhaven Blvd, Queens – October 31
- 1806 East Gun Hill Road, Bronx – November 1
- 2501 Forest Ave, Staten Island – November 1
- 1000 Washington Ave, Brooklyn – November 7
About New York Restoration Project & MillionTreesNYC Tree Giveaways
New York Restoration Project (NYRP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming open space in under-resourced communities to create a greener, more sustainable New York City. NYRP is also the leading private partner of the City of New York in MillionTreesNYC, an initiative to plant and care for one million new trees throughout NYC’s five boroughs. As part of MillionTreesNYC, NYRP partners with community organizations to conduct the largest municipal tree giveaway program in the country. Thanks to generous support from lead sponsors, TD Bank and Toyota, and supporting sponsor, JetBlue, NYRP will host over 90 tree giveaways in the spring season 2014 and hand out 12,000 free trees. To learn more about tree giveaways, please visit http://www.nyrp.org/treegiveaways.
Leah Silver | Marketing & Communications Associate, NYRP