MillionTreesNYC Launches 15th Season of Tree Giveaways
NYRP and local organizations will distribute 8,750 free trees at 65 giveaway events
NEW YORK, NY, March 2015 – As part of MillionTreesNYC, the initiative of planting and caring for one million new trees in New York City, New York Restoration Project (NYRP) is launching the 15th season of the country’s largest municipal tree giveaway program. Thanks to support from lead sponsors, TD Bank and Toyota, and supporting sponsor, JetBlue, NYRP is partnering with 62 local community organizations to host 65 giveaways throughout all five boroughs to give out 8,750 trees. From March through May, New Yorkers can attend a giveaway to pick up a tree to plant in their front or back yards, gardens or commercial property.
“Thanks to our sponsors, our partner organizations and New Yorkers, we are the largest municipal tree giveaway program in the country,” said Mike Duran-Mitchell, NYRP’s Director of Urban Forestry. “Our tree giveaways are exciting events where New Yorkers get together to make their neighborhoods come alive.”
Tree giveaway participants care for their trees by properly watering and maintaining them on their own property, ensuring long-term stewardship of trees. Aside providing cleaner air, planting trees has many benefits, including enhanced curb appeal, offset of climate change, cooler temperatures, and more. Popular tree varieties offered in this season of giveaways are dogwoods, juneberries and peach trees.
Here is more information on how the giveaways work:
- NYC property owners can find the giveaway schedule and locations online at http://www.nyrp.org/treegiveaways.
- They can register for a tree in advance. Registration is typically available at least two weeks prior to the giveaway.
- If registration is full, a limited quantity of trees is available on a first come, first served basis at the event.
- An NYRP representative on site will explain how to plant and care for the tree.
- Participants take their trees home to plant in a yard, garden, commercial property, community garden, etc.
Participants must agree to the following terms:
- Plant in one of the five boroughs.
- Keep trees properly watered and maintained.
- Do not plant the tree along streets, in city parks, in containers, terraces, balconies or on roofs.
About New York Restoration Project & MillionTreesNYC Tree Giveaways
New York Restoration Project (NYRP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming open space in under-resourced communities to create a greener, more sustainable New York City. NYRP is also the leading private partner of the City of New York in MillionTreesNYC, an initiative to plant and care for one million new trees throughout NYC’s five boroughs. As part of MillionTreesNYC, NYRP partners with community organizations to conduct the largest municipal tree giveaway program in the country. Thanks to generous support from lead sponsors, TD Bank and Toyota, and supporting sponsor, JetBlue, NYRP will host over 65 tree giveaways with partner organizations in the spring season 2015 and hand out 8,750 free trees. To learn more about tree giveaways, please visit http://www.nyrp.org/treegiveaways.
Anne Tan-Detchkov | PR Manager, NYRP