Request a Garden Plot at Riley-Levin Children’s Garden
Thank you for your interest in acquiring a plot in the Riley-Levin Children’s Garden at Swindler Cove. We are currently accepting applications for the 2019 growing season.
The Riley-Levin Children’s Garden offers community organizations a valuable space to teach children how to grow their own healthy food. The garden has raised beds, a 3-bin compost system, a rain water cistern, picnic tables, and is surrounded by a small orchard and herb garden. Located within Sherman Creek Park, the garden is within easy access to a wider teaching landscape including wetlands, forest and access to the Harlem River. To adopt a bed, please tell us about yourself and your proposal for the garden on the application form, and keep in mind the following:
NYRP can provide gardening tools, supplies, material, and guidance as needed. Maintenance of the beds is the responsibility of the plot holders. NYRP may alter the beds or offer them to another group at any time if minimum commitments or standards are not met.
- Must serve a minimum of five unique children and/or young adults during the Spring-Fall growing season
- Must have a designated individual who is able to lead youth in gardening projects and coordinate with NYRP
- Must attend an orientation in March and September
- Lead children in garden-based programming at the Children's Garden at least twice per month with a minium of 4 hrs./ month during open hours:
8am–8pm during the summer
8am–6pm in the fall & spring
8am–4pm in the winter
- Will be responsible for the planning, planting, harvest and maintenance of their garden bed
- Will be asked to read the Garden Guide and sign a statement of commitment