Tree Giveaway Assistant
Industry: Not‐for‐Profit – Environmental
Department: Public Programming
Report to: Public Programming Manager
Date posted: February 14, 2019
Date of positions: Fridays, Saturdays, & Sundays, March-June 2019
Start date: March 29, 2019
Classification: Part-time and Non-Exempt
NYRP was a partner in the MillionTreesNYC (MTNYC) initiative, an ambitious city wide program to plant one million trees by 2015. You will work as an individual and work with a diverse group of people in the public programming department. The tree giveaway program works with community organizations in all five boroughs to give free trees to residents of New York City.
Summary of Position:
The assistant will support the NYRP Public Events Manager in the implementation of the tree giveaway program. This includes, but may not be limited to: pre-event and day-of event logistics and data entry.
- Leading and managing tree giveaway events
- Training volunteers and teaching people how to plant trees
- Data entry for tree giveaway participants
- Weekend and early-morning hours will be required with the possibility of some weekday work when needed , shifts are 4-5 hours each.
Preferred Experience, Skills & Characteristics:
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work independently as well as a demonstrated commitment to teamwork and collaboration in project delivery
- Knowledge of horticulture and New York City tree species and ability to answer questions about specific characteristics of trees, or an eagerness to learn.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Willingness to work on a flexible schedule and to travel throughout NYC, primarily on weekends.
- Well-developed organizational skills with a solid orientation to detail
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Career interest in the fields of project management, urban forestry, community engagement, landscape architecture, urban planning, environmental studies or related discipline a plus