Marketing & Communications Internship
Industry: Non‐Profit – Environmental
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Marketing and Communications Director
Date posted: August 6, 2018
Schedule: 3.5-month term with ability to extend through the winter. This is an unpaid internship for college credit.
Classification: Unpaid Internship
Mission and Vision
Nature is a fundamental right of every New Yorker. NYRP partners with local communities, public agencies, and the private sector to acquire, create, maintain, and program public open spaces. Our sustained partnership with communities promotes strong social ties and collective action.
We aspire to expand our footprint and impact in all five boroughs to make a safer, healthier, and happier city.
Principles and Responsibilities
In consultation with the Marketing and Communications Director, senior management, and other departmental staff, the Marketing and Communications Intern will create marketing collateral, and manage and coordinate social media, and digital properties for NYRP. S/he will create digital content using Adobe Creative Suite, primarily InDesign, and other online tools. S/he will be an aspiring photographer and videographer, and display those skills through storytelling, reporting, and production for NYRP’s online channels. S/he may also work in the field stewarding one of NYRP’s many gardens, parks, or other green spaces while at the same time covering that stewardship, similar to a journalist. The intern will support the Development Team through various other tasks as well.
- Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, environmental studies, social justice, or related field.
- Outstanding Writing Skills.
- Understand and be well-versed in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), MailChimp, Social Media (Paid and Organic), Google Analytics, SEM, SEO, and A/B Testing.
- A love for writing, editing, photo selection, organizing, and producing marketing materials.
- A love for social and environmental justice.
- Proficient with a DSLR camera.
- Ability to edit web content through a CMS.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; exceptional organization skills.
- Can-do attitude and willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task.
- Flexibility to work weekend and evening hours.
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and portfolio by email to snevins at nyrp.org.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.